Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Slippery Slope


According to recent studies, 95% of people will gain back the weight they lose within a few years, and 41% of those who attempt dieting will eventually gain back more weight than they lost.

Sad, isn't it?
I don't mean to be a "downer" today, but believe it or not, my mind has been racing with scary thoughts. I have 3 days until my "final" weigh-in. I can tell you right now that I probably won't make my goal weight by then. I'll be missing it by 5 pounds. I'm not moping about it. I've come a very long way from where I started. I'm grateful for the progress and life changes I made. I guess I've been a little worried about keeping it off.

It's a slippery slope. The slope I'm talking about is the "maintenance" portion of being at a healthy weight. I've never done it. The last time I lost 45 pounds I just met my husband, started eating what I wanted, and gradually gained 15 pounds in 10 months. It doesn't sound like a big deal, right? Well... after the wedding, I really started packing on the weight. He did too. Hehe. It was the dumb deep fryer we registered for! We were making homemade tortilla chips and roasted corn guacamole dips every weekend. Who wouldn't gain weight from that? I eventually gained back all the weight I had lost. Anyway, I've been contemplating just joining Weight Watchers to help me be more accountable to maintain it. What do you think? I could probably lose the last five pounds, make "lifetime goal," and not pay future fees if I keep myself from gaining less than 3 pounds a month. I think that's how it still works. I'm not really sure.

Yesterday's run was awesome. I have a friend who has been doing and teaching Krav Maga for a 1 1/2 years, and I outran her! I couldn't believe it either. Her training doesn't make her run crazy miles though.

Wonderful News:  My stepkids are leaving early! They're leaving a 1 1/2 weeks early. I am so freaking happy!

Today's Fuel:  clean eating
Today's Activity:  core work, legs, 3.5 miles up that hill again

Happy day!

2 comments:

MissHaneefa said...

I think that you have established habits that will stay with you for life, I know that you will keep up the healthy lifestyle that you have developed over the last few months.

Jennifer said...

I have to say that I fell victim to the yo yo dieting scene...again and again. Down some, up more. down some again, up even more. This went on for like 10 years but I was always within about 20 lbs or so. But not this time. I have lost 65 so far. I feel so much more educated and feel like a different person.
As for WW, its pretty similar to calorie counting. Except you count points. I had planned on doing WW when I came off Medifast but have decided that counting calories (as long as I know how many i should be eating) is okay for now. You may really enjoy WW. I have done it tons of times :(

And thanks for the comments on my blog. i love comments :)

Jennifer
http://wecanlosethepounds.blogspot.com/