Monday, June 7, 2010

Muscle= Water, Fat= No Water


Last week I confided in a friend (who also runs) how frustrated I was last week when I ran so much, lifted weights, ate clean, and did hula for hours without losing any weight at all.
She told me that I would have to wait probably two weeks to see a weight difference because I'm gaining muscle from the weight training and running that I've been doing.
She also told me that you retain water as you gain muscle.
Huh?
No one ever told me that.
Does everyone know about this but me?
She said that muscles consist of lots of water, and fat has no water.
It made sense to me, but I wasn't totally convinced.
I waited patiently (running 16 miles, working with weights, eating clean, and core work), and I weighed myself on Saturday.
I lost one pound!
Yay for me!
To those of you who are losing more than this a week (like me when I first started this journey), let me tell you... this is HUGE for me.
Now it's really "on" for these last 8 pounds.
I totally hit a "wall" last Saturday.
It seems that my friend was definitely right.
I'm going to keep on working and fighting this fight.

Thank you for sticking by me.

Today's Activities and Food
4 mile run
legs
abs
1 whole wheat toast, 1 TBS honey
7 almonds
1 multigrain muffin, 6 slices turkey deli, tomatoes, basil, BB spread
7 almonds
1 roasted chicken breast, peas, carrots, 1/2 cup quinoa

Give a little love to yourself today.









3 comments:

MissHaneefa said...

Good job on the loss. I jave not heard this eaither. Hmmm I guess that I will have to look into this one.

Alysha said...

Girl you are getting so close those last 8 lbs are going to come off so quickly!!! work it girl!!

LeeLee said...

Congrats on the Loss!!!
From what I know when you lift weights your muscles tend to swell, adding extra weight when you get on the scale. I never heard about retaining water as you gain weight but, I know for sure your muscles do swell when you work them out!!! I lift during the week & make sure I do Cardio or Yoga or rest on Sunday before my Monday weigh in's. I hope this helps!