Wednesday, May 5, 2010

To Drink or Not to Drink- That is the Question


"Fuel that helps repair and recharge muscles."  - EAS

Let me just clarify that I'm not being paid by anyone or any company to endorse any products.

Do you work out intensely?

If you do, do you drink this stuff or any other special drink to help replenish your body and muscles?

I had been running about 12 miles a week, and let me tell you that's a LOT for me.
I'm super tired and wiped out, and my muscles are too.
I've thought about purchasing supplements to help my body recover, but to be honest I've done this in the past and never finished the big plastic jars of the stuff.
I would get tired or grossed out by the taste after a while and stop drinking it altogether.
Don't even get me started with the cost!
How do you feel about these drinks?
I've just been drinking PLENTY of water before and after running and/or working out.
I eat my proteins, carbs, fruits, and veggies daily.
I do however eat pretty lean, and I'll have to adjust how much I eat when I get to my goal weight.
I'm just not quite sure that I want to continue losing weight beyond my goal weight.
I've been 113 lbs., and let me tell you that wasn't the life for me back then (7 years ago).
I didn't eat what I wanted AT ALL.
I felt like I ate "rabbit food" all the time, and I was at the gym for 2 hours 6-7 days a week.
I like how it is now. I eat healthy for 6 days and eat what I want one day a week.
That "one day a week" thing isn't full of junk eating either. My tummy can't handle a lot of food and especially not greasy food anymore.
I don't feel like I miss out on anything.

Today's Food and Activities
P90X upper body
abs
1 cup Kashi Crunch cereal, 1/2 cup nonfat milk
7 almonds
1 regular eng. muffin, 1 TBS B&B spread, tomatoes, 6 slices lean ham
7 almonds
baked salmon with veggies

Today I'm thankful for the rest my feet and legs are getting.
I've been relaxing a bit and visualizing me getting healthier.

Thank you for your kind words and encouragement.
You readers and followers are making it easier for me to see that I can reach my goals!
Have a happy and healthy day!


3 comments:

MissHaneefa said...

I really don't drink anything special , but I do like to have Coconut Water if I can get my hands on it. I have always liked it but I have also read a few articles that say it is great to drink after working out. It contains electrolytes and it is good for you!

Girlie said...

I don't know. I am torn like you on the topic. Every trainer and their dog would absolutely be PRO sports drinks, but I don't drink them. One thing I don't like to eat or drink is excess soy. Soy is generally digested just fine in the body but it does raise estrogen levels. For females this shouldn't be a problem but for men, raised estrogen can cause all sorts of issues. ANYWAY, I got a tumor in one my boobs because of raised estrogen and had to get it removed so I try to not take soy in. Almost every drink or protein bar has soy in it, so I avoid them all together (unless you can find like Whey protein, that's better).

Also, I read that drinking a glass of chocolate milk is just, if not more, healthy than a protein shake because you are getting the right amount of carbs/fat to replinish your body after a strenous workout.

rosalynd said...

i have heard that those drinks have lots of unneeded sugars so if your diet is restrictive on sugar i wouldnt do it, if you feel run down and tired (beyond the usual exhaustion of living life with twins and working out) then you can try a vitamin regimen but unless your trying to pack on some muscle i wouldnt do the protein shake/drink thing :)