Thursday, January 21, 2010

Makes Sense to Me

Have you ever tried to explain one of the reasons why you're having a hard time losing weight (despite working out and watching what you're eating) to somebody and later felt like all they heard were excuses? It happens to me from time to time with my husband who has traditional beliefs about how people gain weight. My main reason? Stress. I eat and overeat and snack when I'm stressed. I just finished reading an article in the January/February 2010 edition of Weight Watchers Magazine. I'm not currently enrolled in their program, but I'm using the tools I learned from there from when I WAS successful losing 45 pounds. Dr. Mimi Guarneri, founder of the Scripps Center for Integrative Medicine in San Diego, states,

"When you're under stress, your body produces cortisol, which is associated with diabetes, insulin resistance, and weight gain in the belly- all risk factors for heart disease."

How to fight it? The doctor suggests that we find ways to relieve stress. I've been fighting my stress with exercise lately. I can feel the difference for sure. I'm no longer irritated all the time. I don't get upset at everything so quickly. Big proof of this is when my stepkids came over for the weekend two weeks ago. I wasn't as stressed as I normally have been. I've also been getting a little bit more sleep (well... not the past couple of nights, thanks to Twin Girl), but more sleep in general. I also make sure that I have time to sit and veg out on some TV. It relaxes me after a long day with the twins and everything else I do to keep a home. My regular physician diagnosed me with this "cortisol" problem last summer. I've been put on 3 different meds to maintain a nice level, and I've started losing weight. The weight loss is due to being on meds, working out 5-6 times a week for at least one hour, eating right, and getting sleep. I hope you can figure out what you need to do to reach your goals. I'm no way near my goal weight, but I feel better where I'm at today than two weeks ago. Thank you for reading my blog and supporting my efforts.

Yesterday, I went to my mom's for the day and shopped at an Asian market. I was so proud of myself because there were so many snacks and food that I used to eat a lot of leisurely. Did I buy any? I bought a package of peanuts and a bottle of water. That's it. The rest of my purchases were for healthy meals for me and my family. I really feel good about that. We came home around 7 p.m., and I quickly made shrimp tacos. They were very yummy and quite healthy too! I found some yellow corn tortillas with half the fat and calories than the white bleached ones. I know... tortillas again. They're cheap, a lot come in a package, and I'm not sick of eating them with cheese yet! Dr. Oz did say that if you like something and it works, why change it just because you can? I'm sure I will change out the menu when I get sick of it. The problem is my husband. He's more of a foodie than I am, and he doesn't like to eat the same thing too much. He doesn't even like eating leftovers unless it's absolutely necessary (meaning I haven't grocery shopped). I know. He's spoiled.

Today I've had:
*2 corn tortillas, 1/3 cup WW cheese, 1 oz. lean roast beef

Later I'll have:
Snack:  7 almonds
Lunch:  2 corn tortillas, 1/3 cup WW cheese
Snack:  7 almonds
Dinner:  oriental beef stir fry with peppers and 1/2 cup white rice
Dessert:  1 WW lemon creme cake (These are yummy!)

Have a happy and healthy day!

2 comments:

Amberly said...

Yeah I totally understand about the explaining... but sounding like excuses.... I do it a lot and I feel like the other listener probably thinks that I complain too much... or always have an excuse... but it just doesn't seem that way to me.
I was reading this article about healthy diets in one of the health, or self, of fitness mags and they were interviewing models on how they maintain their weight when traveling. I found this interesting... the key to everything is eating the same things. She would eat the exact same breakfast everyday... then for lunch she would have a salad with either chicken, fish or possibly steak... then for dinner she would eat out and that was when she could eat what she wanted but in a small amount. Another thing she said was that when she was at a party.. she stayed away from the food buffet... and always carried her pocket book in one hand and a glass (with or without liquids) in the other... that way her hands were busy and couldn't pick up any food.

Amberly said...

Yeah I totally understand about the explaining... but sounding like excuses.... I do it a lot and I feel like the other listener probably thinks that I complain too much... or always have an excuse... but it just doesn't seem that way to me.
I was reading this article about healthy diets in one of the health, or self, of fitness mags and they were interviewing models on how they maintain their weight when traveling. I found this interesting... the key to everything is eating the same things. She would eat the exact same breakfast everyday... then for lunch she would have a salad with either chicken, fish or possibly steak... then for dinner she would eat out and that was when she could eat what she wanted but in a small amount. Another thing she said was that when she was at a party.. she stayed away from the food buffet... and always carried her pocket book in one hand and a glass (with or without liquids) in the other... that way her hands were busy and couldn't pick up any food.